Alpha & Omega Ministries Apologetics Blog
Is LaHaye For Real?
04/18/2007 - James WhiteI wonder if I could get Tim LaHaye to write a foreword for one of my books? Remember this piece of incredible insight written for Dave Hunt's What Love is This? "This book could well be the most important book written in the twenty-first century for all evangelical Christians to read." Think about that one for a moment. So today the abridged edition of C. Gordon Olson's book arrives, Getting the Gospel Right: A Balanced View of Salvation Truth. Now, may I say, that is simply false advertising? There is nothing balanced about Olson's work. It is a pure defense of synergism and a blatant (and often errant) attack upon monergism. Why do synergists dodge accuracy in advertising? Why not just come out and say, "Hey, I want a God who tries and fails, is eternally disappointed, and a creature, man, who has the final say in salvation, so that salvation is a cooperative effort, OK?" Hmm. Just re-read that. Never mind.
Anyway, LaHaye has a foreword in the trimmed-down, nicer-looking Olson book. And once again you are left coughing and sputtering at the wide-eyed silliness of his words:
What I find interesting is that in spite of its incredible distribution, no scholar to date has attempted to refute it or anything in it. As another who was impressed with the book said, "The reason no one has attempted to refute it is that they cannot." I would agree.Wow. Frasier Crane said it best:
Get the Flash Player to see this player.
Easter Sunday Guests
04/08/2007 - James WhiteThey've been threatening to do this for years. You always expect visitors on Easter Sunday, of course, but...this? Yes, good ol' Lonnie, victim of old ladies on oxygen in wheel chairs, bravely stood outside the Phoenix Reformed Baptist Church, preaching to the...shrubberies. He only showed up right before service started, so most folks were already inside, and afterward we just had everyone go out the back. What's more, our building was built back when they really made walls thick (due to the heat), so, I never heard a word. It was a perfect waste of time, but, that's the forte of Lonnie and the Gang.
We were given a warning, anyway. Listen to this mp3 of two phone messages left on our answering machine. The second is from Lonnie himself: phone messages.
But then Lonnie, and his faithful videographer, showed up. After church we recorded some of his "preaching." Since these men claim to be preachers, let's see how well they preach. Here is Lonnie preaching.
Yes, well, I'm definitely edified. Did you catch the end? Did he really just claim to have talked to, or converted, 100 to 150 people a night in Mesa? Did this guy go to the Benny Hinn school of statistics? They claim they are going to come back next week, too, driving all the way from Los Angeles to..."preach" to the shrubberies!
If you know of any church that supports these men, please, let them know what they are really up to. These men are a blight upon the faith, just like the cult out of Kansas (Fred Phelps). Folks, if we do not stand up to these people, if we do not show not only in deed but in clear language how we are completely separate from them, the world will continue to lump us all together. You will note that Lonnie claims the Mormons "thanked them" for "getting rid" of us. We all know that is a bold-faced lie, but I wish to make sure any Mormon who reads this article knows that we have always approached the task of evangelizing them with respect---not only in how we act and dress, but in the effort put into understanding Mormonism and showing the Mormon people the respect due to them that comes from accurately representing their faith. This is something the SSC can never claim.
Please pray the Lord will restrain the madness of these men, remove their support, and end their hateful campaign of spewing hatred in the name of Christ.
04/07/2007 - James WhiteThe Arizona Republic ran a story on the Lonnie Pursifull "I am scared of little old ladies in wheel chairs" story today. JJ Hensley did the write-up. Rich and I are both quoted in the story, and now we know the name of the lady in the wheel chair, Anne Carlisle. Immortalized in print, however, are the words of Pursifull, a carpet-layer and leader of the Wilderness Bible Baptist Church in Duchesne, Utah. "Pursifull said he was afraid when Carlisle came at him in her wheelchair Tuesday night before the Easter pageant." Yeah, right. Shaking in his boots as this 250 lb. man was "attacked" by a woman on oxygen in her wheelchair. Yeah, I could see the terror in his eyes as he yelled, "I'm going to file charges!" More like glee. And then, "'It was an attack with a weapon, literally with a weapon,' Pursifull said Friday as his colleagues preached. 'The woman could've killed somebody with her wheelchair."" Yeah, he could have died of shin splints, I guess. And what a horrible way to go, too! I had a lot better chance of dying when Lonnie smacked me in the head with his sign, as this video shows:
But then the reporter managed to get Lonnie to give his views about yours truly, "Pursifull claims that White leads a flock of sinners that he thinks rivals those in the LDS Church, largely because they don't believe the King James version of the Bible is the only trustworthy translation." Ah, there you go. Ruckmanism at its best. Well, I told Rich Tuesday evening, "Yeah, this will look great. 'Anti-Mormons have LDS woman on oxygen in wheelchair arrested for attack!' Just what these guys love." And there you go. But, at least this time, anyone who desires to know will see that we oppose these spewers of hatred and ignorance, and unlike them, believe the gospel of Jesus Christ, which the LDS people do need to hear, demands sobriety, respect, and a level of maturity on the part of those presenting it befitting its nature and glory.
04/06/2007 - James WhiteFirst, I need to officially change the name of the Street Abusers Cult. Though SAC fits quite well, I think the name suggested today in our chat channel is far better, "Street Screechers." So, since you always have 72 hours to change the new name of a cult, I hereby dub them the Street Screechers Cult. SSC.
Next, some folks have a hard time believing these guys exist. Now, we have a bunch of video of them, actually, and I may take the time to go through those tapes, if need arises (and if Rich can find them for me). What we have below is a series of little clips from my tiny digital camera. They are really short, unfortunately, but, they were also easy to string together and upload to YouTube! So, what you have are:
1) Here you see Ruben Israel yelling at the Mormons who are streaming in to the Conference center. Yes, he says, "Bring 'em young," as in "Brigham Young." Charming, yes? You could see the Mormons converting by the droves.So there you have just a few shots at the Street Screechers and their activities. As I type this they are going at it in Mesa, proving to all that a megaphone can trump reason every time.
2) I'm waiting for Ruben to start again and guess who comes by and smacks me in the head with his sign but Lonnie Pursifull! I'm sure that was a worse assault than getting hit by a little old lady in her wheelchair, but I didn't call the cops.
3) Next you see someone using a plastic bottle, cut out to form a megaphone, yelling into the Temple Square area through the North Gate.
4) Next you see the "lunch rush" coming across North Temple. My son, Josh, is in the blue shirt with the tie. Note no one is interested in a tract as long as the street screechers are out and about. And note how different our demeanor and dress is than that of the SSC.
5) Next you see the same crowd flowing into Temple Square, passing by the sign carrying folks, followed by another shot across North Temple, with the yelling in the background.
6) Then, I included a shot from the debate that took place at the University of Utah with Martin Tanner. The men sitting in the back are the primary sign-carrying leaders of the SSC. They behaved themselves as the debate. We had informed security about them anyway.
7) Next, you will need to turn your head sideways, because I don't have the ability to rotate these clips, my apology. This is from Salt Lake in 2004. I was up to do another debate (I think the one on Temples at the UofU) and so I decided to go by and see what was happening at the General Conference, and quickly I was recognized. This young kid went nuts, as the next few clips show. A good follower of Peter Ruckman.
8) The last clip is of Lonnie in Mesa a few years ago.
I Did Not Need Proof, But Since It Has Been Offered...
04/06/2007 - James WhiteOne of the leading names in the Street Abusers Cult (SAC) dropped us a note. I have said these men hate just for the purpose of hating. The objects of their abuse don't matter. Note the end of his message, where he intimates they might protest a Baptist Church.
JAMES I CAN NOT BELIEVE THAT YOU RUN AWAY FROM THE MESA PREACH. I EXPECT THAT FROM JOSEPH SMITH, I EXPECT THAT HE WOULD HIDE HIS TAIL BETWEEN HIS LEGS AND RUN FROM STATE TO STATE. BUT YOU THE GREAT PUBLIC DEBATER, THE MOST WISE OF ALL BIBLICAL TRUTHS, THE GREAT OZ RUNS WHEN A FEW STREET PREACHERS COME TO TOWN? THIS SPEAKS VOLUMES OF YOU KING-JAMES. AND FOR THE RECORD, YOU CAN NOT QUIT.YOU ARE FIRED. BESIDES WE WERE PRE ORDAINED TO BE AT MESA BEFORE THE FOUNDATION OF THE EARTH RIGHT? QUESTION FOR YOU JIMMY, JUST HOW FAR IS THE SIDE WALK FROM THE FRONT DOOR AT 3805 NORTH 12TH STREET IN PHOENIX? RUBEN ISRAEL