Harold Camping has a new greeting posted. Here are some excerpts:
- “I do believe that we are getting very near the very end …”
- “We’ve learned that there are a lot of things that we didn’t have quite right …”
- “… we would not have been able to be used of him to bring about the tremendous event that occurred on May 21 of this year, and which probably will be finished upon October 21 this coming — very shortly. That looks like it will be – at this point – it looks like it will be the final end of everything.”
- “When we study the historical record of his application of vengeance … we must believe that probably there will be no pain suffered by anyone because of their rebellion against God.”
- “… whereas the true believers will quietly receive the new heaven and the new earth. I really am beginning to think as I read/study these matters that there’s going to be no big display of any kind. The end is going to come very, very quietly, probably within the next month. It will happen, that is, by October 21.”
- “It’s been so good to hear about those who are continuing to be faithful. They undoubtedly are the elect of God. And we know absolutely that the elect will be saved. There is no question at all about that. And we know that there are in Family Radio many who have been so faithful and are remaining faithful right to the end.
So, he is still insisting that October 21, 2011, is the end. However, now he is adding “probably” and suggesting that the end will be “quiet” without any big display. He is also now suggesting that people can know that they are of the elect, something that I cannot recall him previously teaching. He is also comforting himself and his followers by suggesting that his and their loved ones won’t suffer any pain.
Is Harold Camping ready to miss this latest and last deadline, does he plan to claim that the end actually came, or is he so self-deluded that he actually believes that October 21, 2011, will be the end? It is hard to say. Given the gargantuan scale of his failures with respect to 1994 and May 21, 2011, there is no reason to suppose that October 21, 2011, will have any significance for anyone outside Mr. Camping’s group (except for one of my friends who will be turning 40 that day).
In fact, there’s no particular reason we ought to heed any of Mr. Camping’s teachings. It is sad that so many still do.
Let us be clear, however. These failures are failures of Mr. Camping and his method of arbitrary exegesis. They are the result of failing to rightly divide the Word of Truth. May God have mercy on Mr. Camping and use October 22, 2011, to bring him to repentance together with his followers who have all abandoned the churches of our Lord and the communion of the saints.